Ankle pain is a common issue that affects almost everyone at one point in their life. Primarily because our ankles and feet are some of the hardest working areas of our bodies. They’re made up of twenty-six bones and thirty-three small joints surrounded by a complex network of soft tissue made up of tendons, muscles, ligaments, blood vessels, and nerves.1 Your feet and ankles are under a lot of pressure with everyday movements and are very susceptible to injury and degeneration.
When suffering from ankle pain, it affects several areas of your life from walking and exercising to sitting comfortably and sleeping. However, there are many natural chiropractic treatments to help you return to your normal life and enjoy moving again.
What is Ankle Pain?
There are several potential causes of ankle pain, ranging from something as simple as poorly fitting footwear to acute injuries such as a sprain and/or break. Chronic conditions can also cause diverse levels of pain within your ankle that affect your range of motion such as:
- Osteoarthritis - Caused by the gradual degeneration of cartilage within the ankle joint leading to bone rubbing against bone
- Rheumatoid Arthritis - An autoimmune condition in which the immune system attacks multiple joints throughout the body causing inflammation (painful swelling)
- Post-traumatic Arthritis - Arthritis that develops from an earlier injury causing degeneration and inflammation
- Connective Tissue Disease - Tissues such as ligaments and tendons deteriorate causing weakness and pain
- Poor Blood Circulation - Decreased oxygenated blood flow to the ankle area leading to swelling, puffiness, numbness, tingling, cramping, and pain
- Nerve Damage - Nerves can become trapped in the small areas between bones, become inflamed, and/or compressed due to injury causing shooting pain
There are also numerous conditions that can cause ankle pain that you may not always associate with your ankle such as changes in the shape of your arch (the inside midsection of your foot) caused by arthritis, weight fluctuations, pregnancy, and/or injury. These changes affect function within your ankle due to how your bodyweight is spread and carried by the bones and joints of your feet. A poor weight distribution can lead to chronic ankle pain as well as pain in the foot, knee, hip, and spine.
Some of our patients ask, “why does my ankle suddenly hurt for no reason?”. We often tell them that the chronic conditions listed above normally develop over time and may not be discovered for years. Which leaves them unaware of the condition until pain occurs on a regular basis.
No matter the cause of your pain, ankle pain can vary in intensity and longevity with it lasting from a few minutes to several years. When suffering from ankle pain, you may experience burning, stabbing, aching, and/or throbbing pain, and it may come on suddenly such as from a sudden injury or fall. Pain may appear gradually over time due to degenerative disease, previous injuries, and/or aging. The most common reasons for ankle pain include:
- Sprains - Injury of one or more ligaments within the ankle (tough, fibrous tissues that connect bone to bone) often referred to as twisting your ankle
- Bruising - Bruises on the ankle bones normally caused by an injury or accompanied with a sprain or break; extremely painful and often cause swelling, like that of a fracture
- Bone Breaks - Any fracture or break within any of the multitude of bones that make up the ankle and foot
- Tendonitis - Tendons within the ankle become inflamed and irritated
Whether experiencing sudden or chronic ankle pain, the first step is to discover the root cause of the problem. Injuries and chronic conditions can often be diagnosed with a past health history report, physical exam, and x-ray. There are many different chiropractic treatments and adjustment techniques that can help get you back on your feet again.
How can chiropractic care help me?
Your ankle is an integral part of your overall movement and functionality while being interconnected with the rest of your body. For example, did your ankle pain arise from a misaligned spine causing pressure on your ankle to support your weight? Or perhaps your current ankle pain has led to limping or favoring a particular leg which now causes pain in your hips or other body parts?
When visiting a chiropractor for ankle pain, they don’t just look at the individual area of pain. They look at the person as a whole to ensure they are getting to the root cause of the issue and addressing any subsequent injuries, misalignments, and/or connective disorders.
The whole-body approach not only addresses your current ankle pain, but helps in the prevention of future injuries, reduces aggravation, and helps to limit other problems down the road allowing you to enjoy a pain-free life.
Chiropractic Benefits for Ankle Pain Include:
- Natural pain management and relief
- Increased range of motion
- Restoration of ankle joint mobility and stability
- Proactive care to support nerve health, blood flow, and overall body wellness
- Education and lifestyle recommendations to enhance healing, balance, strength, and more
If you or a loved one is suffering with sudden or chronic ankle pain, we invite you to book a consultation appointment with a member of our team to discover how chiropractic care can get you back on your feet without pain.
We understand that not everyone is familiar with chiropractic care, so all new patients receive a consultation, examination and if necessary, an x-ray. Then our doctors will review your condition and walk you through an easy-to-follow treatment plan that’s unique to you.
There’s no pressure when you visit our office. Our friendly staff want to answer any questions or concerns you may have regarding your health.
- Biology Dictionary-Foot- https://biologydictionary.net/
The information on this page is intended for informational purposes only. We put this page together to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of the benefits of chiropractic care. This page is not meant to provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.